A programme of art, culture and new infrastructure to reimagine the future of the UK’s biggest council housing estate
Pride, Place, and Progress
a conversation about mental health and young people
Playing Tuesday at 3pm and on rotation all week
A conversation on mental health, young people, and experiences of accessing and using services with Andrew Kerr, Heather McKelvey, and Olivuh.
Andrew Kerr (he/him) is a life-long resident of Barking & Dagenham, and has lived, worked, and studied in the borough for over twenty-nine years. His career has been varied, starting off in sexual and mental health, but has progressed into community participation, engagement, and development, and urban regeneration and renewal.
Heather McKelvey (she/her) is the Youth Health Programmes Coordinator for the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham. She coordinates the Condom Distribution and Emergency Hormonal Contraception Schemes, is involved in the Flipside LGBTQ+ Youth and Peer Support Groups, and has worked in a youth, sexual, and mental health services for several years.
Olivuh (they/them) is a young person who has lived in Barking & Dagenham for a number of years. They are currently working on trying to improve mental health services for other young people in order for them to hopefully not face the same experiences as them.
Services Mentioned in the Podcast
- Barking & Dagenham Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service: https://www.nelft.nhs.uk/barking-and-dagenham-camhs/
- Come Correct: https://www.comecorrect.org.uk
- Flipside LGBTQ+ Youth Group: https://www.lbbd.gov.uk/children-young-people-and-families/youth-services/flipside-youth-club
- Peer Support Group: https://www.lbbd.gov.uk/children-young-people-and-families/youth-services/peer-support-group-psg-youth-club
- Terrence Higgins Trust (provider of former TalkSafe service): https://www.tht.org.uk
Information for Further Support
- Barking & Dagenham Subwise: https://www.viaorg.uk/services/barking-and-dagenham-subwize/
- Blast Project: https://m.facebook.com/684567511741998/
- Childline: https://www.childline.org.uk
- Kooth: https://www.kooth.com
- LifeSIGNS: https://www.lifesigns.org.uk
- Mind: https://www.mind.org.uk
- METRO Charity: https://metrocharity.org.uk
- Papyrus UK: https://www.papyrus-uk.org/papyrus-hopeline247/
- Positive East: https://www.positiveeast.org.uk
- Refuge: https://refuge.org.uk
- Samaritans: https://www.samaritans.org
- Shout Crisis Text Line: https://www.crisistextline.uk
- Switchboard LGBT+ Helpline: https://switchboard.lgbt
- Spectra: https://spectra-london.org.uk
- The Calm Zone: https://www.thecalmzone.net
- The Mix: https://www.themix.org.uk
- Young Minds: https://www.youngminds.org.uk